Sunday, August 31, 2014

DIY Wreck-it-Ralph

Halloween 2013 Part 2

 I had originally planned on having Wreck it Ralph and Fix it Felix all in one post but Fix it Felix was pretty tedious and required a rather large post. Please Click here to view the Fix it Felix DIY blog post. 


DIY Wreck it Ralph 

Supplies and Cost


After doing Fix it Felix, this one was a breeze! First thing's first, I had to find a pair of overalls. That was the hardest part! I ended up getting these from a friend for FREE. They're size 24 months. This is my 4 and a half year old son. He typically wears a size 5. They were too short but I was cutting them off at the bottom anyway so it didn't matter. Keep that in mind if you can't find any in the size you need. Then I got: a hunter green tshirt ($4 at walmart), an orange tshirt($4 at walmart), 3 buttons(already had), dark brown RIT dye($2.50 at walmart)for the overalls, a light blue sharpie, and a red sharpie(73 cents each). If you're still adding, I'll help you out! That totals $11.95. Consider the fact he'll wear the hunter green shirt again and that brings it down to $7.95! This ninja turtle he'd also considered is nearly $40! I saved a TON of money on this one. Even if you had to purchase the overalls, you're still coming out much cheaper with this DIY project than the typical cost of a costume.

How I did it

The overalls: The ones I bought were khaki colored so it wasn't very difficult to go darker. If I had bought blue jean ones I would have bleached them first. I dyed in the washer and had great results. I cut the strap off the back so it wouldn't dangle down and bother him and I cut the bottoms to give them a frayed look. I did all cutting before the dying/washing process so it gave it a more tattered look. I also jagged up the knees a bit and cut the pockets off that were on them. After all that, I hand sewed down the front because it naturally wanted to stay up, not flop over like it should. It only took a couple stitches. 

The shirts: The hunter green shirt goes underneath with no editing necessary. I did roll up the sleeves since the orange shirt sleeves are cut, so you couldn't see the green at the sleeve. The orange shirt I cut a jagged sleeve and I cut the neck to give it that v-neck look. I then hand sewed on the buttons to make it look like they were really a part of the shirt. It looks really good, I think! To do the plaid, I drew light blue lines like checkerboard pattern and then lightly colored in the top row with the red. I didn't do it very thick or heavy and didn't fill it in completely. This gave it the plaid color look of Wreck it Ralph's shirt. It wasn't necessary to color the bottom row as it's covered by the overalls. 

That's it! 

No, really. That's really it! I threw in a little hair gel and spiked his hair up. I will probably let him wear flip flops when we trick or treat for safety but for halloween costumes (in our church) I'll just let him run barefooted. Be sure to check out the DIY Fix it Felix Blog Post!!



No comments:

Post a Comment