Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My journey towards Child Abuse Prevention

"Find a job you love and you will never work a day in your life." -Confucius

           I have heard many different people say, "God led me to where I needed to be" or, "God just told me this was what I needed to do." What does that mean? Did God come to you in a dream? Are you hearing voices?! Tonight I realized what they meant all those times. God has lead me to Child Abuse Prevention. I admit, I'm in over my head here. I have no clue as to where to start, but I do know one thing.. I believe He will show me.
           I think it all began when a little girl I knew personally became a victim of child abuse. That poor,innocent little girl. How could anyone harm a child?  I then started looking up statistics and they are staggering!
  • More than five children die every day as a result of child abuse.
  • Approximately 80% of children that die from abuse are under the age of 4.
  •  About 30% of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children, continuing the horrible cycle of abuse.
  • A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds. (about how long it took you to read the previous statistics) However, it is estimated that only 57% of child abuse gets reported. 
  • 80% of adults that were abused as children met criteria for at least one psychological disorder.
I'm not sure why,exactly, but God has chosen me to be their voice. So many children suffer in silence and I feel as though it's up to me. I want to spend my entire life helping these children. It may take months, or maybe years but even if one child is saved, IT WILL BE WORTH IT.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." -Gandhi


No comments:

Post a Comment