Sunday, September 28, 2014

Why I said farewell to Facebook


Recently, I've been really looking at my Facebook usage. It didn't take me long to realize that I checked the stupid thing way too much! When I woke up in the mornings, usually the first thing I did was go check Facebook. I scrolled and scrolled, catching up all the way to the last thing I saw before I went to bed. I bet I checked Facebook ten times a day! 

Why though? 
Why is it so important that I catch every detail that my "friends" decide to share? 

I love when I run into a friend, that isn't on Facebook, and we agree to have a lunch together to catch up. At the end of the meal I feel truly caught up! I don't feel as though I've missed out because I didn't see what she had for dinner each night, or when she went to the movies, or who she was hanging out with on the weekends. She tells me what she wants me to know. She tells me the things that are important. 

Have you ever talked to someone that went through every single detail? You really just want to scream, "GET TO THE POINT ALREADY!" 
That's generally my attitude towards Facebook now. I don't need to know every single detail. I feel like if something important happens, my friends should be able to shoot me a call or text and fill me in. I guess I'll find out.

Now, I want to make it clear, I am just as guilty as the next person about rambling on Facebook. I've definitely posted all the major stereotypical "annoying Facebook posts" such as food, inside jokes, pet pictures, etc. It really was hard to admit, and even harder to admit that that was an issue! Quitting Facebook is even comparable to when I stopped drinking soda! I find myself craving it! With soda, I would walk to the refrigerator and open it up expecting to see a Coca-Cola. With Facebook, I go to my social media folder on my phone and expect to see Facebook there. It truly is an addiction for me! I say is because I'm still in the early stages of my farewell. I still aimlessly go to my phone expecting to scroll through. I'm hoping it won't take long before I've broken that habit.

One last thing I do want to add, sort of as a disclaimer, Facebook can be good. It's not all bad. Some people use Facebook to keep in touch with family. Some people use Facebook as a means to communicate with clients. Those are all completely okay things. I'm not necessarily bashing Facebook or users, I just know that I became too engrossed and needed to do something about it. The way I plan to keep in touch with my friends and family is through this blog to share photos, mailing photos, and picking up the stinkin' phone and calling them every once in awhile! 

It's easy to like a Facebook post to show support of what someone is going through. 
However, remember that it would mean a lot more to pick up the phone and call. Sometimes they may just need to hear your voice. 

The following photos are just for laughs. I found them all on google images. I have not edited the photos in any way and in no way claim that they are mine. Enjoy! 






No comments:

Post a Comment